Saturday, February 11, 2012

My Favorite Muffins

I love recipes. Especially ones that I've copied from a friend, like this one from my old friend Wendy. We've made these for years and always when we share them with others they rave and want the recipe too...so I thought I'd share it here.

Seems we often have apples around that aren't really good for fresh eating.
6 cup portions for our bunch
Grated apples
Apples really aren't  good, unless their good, if you know what I mean. Who wants to eat a mealy apple? But once grated and used in these muffins they're great...and it's such an easy way to keep them from going to waste. If you don't have time to make muffins, simply grate the apples and freeze them in the portions needed until you do.

Ruth is our main Apple Muffin maker
Apple Oatmeal Muffins
3 c. grated apples (leave peels on)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 t. salt
1 t. soda
1/2 t. allspice
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 c. raisins or chopped dates or dried cranberries
 2 eggs, beaten
1/4 c. oil
1 c. oats
1/2 c. chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
1/2 c. brown sugar

 Cook apples in water with sugar. Cool.  Stir flour, salt, soda and spices together. Add remaining sugar, oatmeal, nuts and raisins. Combine eggs, oil and grated apple mixture. Add everything together  and stir until just moistened.  Fill greased muffin tins or tins lined with papers 2/3 full. Bake @ 375' for 20 minutes or until no longer shiny and look done.

These are so yummy served warm with a little butter or a spread of cream cheese.

1 comment:

  1. I think my mom would LOVE this recipee since it looks healthy & delicious :) yum!!

    ReplyDelete